Using Chlorine in tanks…

Hi, I have root rot , and have not in the past had sufficient info on how to treat it .
Here try this,  $30.00 thank you.  
If it works let us know , if not , try this one at $ 45.00 etc , etc .  
Well I threw in the tank a lid full of pool chlorine,  
with the words  LIVE OR DIE!
after 1 week I drained the tank and refilled etc .
some of the plants that were too bad any way were  thrown  out and the rest are still living  , much to my surprise.
The question is what damage could I do if I was to use the pool chlorine in small doses 
eg 50 grams /  mls etc  on a regular basis in 1000 litres,
desperate to stop this problem or take up needle work …  and stuff hydroponics .
Hi there
Chlorine burn is the risk.
chlorine sterilises by removing air from the water, suffocating everything at the bug level.
it also removes air from the roots.
If you want to experiment you’ll find out how much works and how much just bleaches the roots and hurts the plant.
I’d pick up a chlorine test kit and keep a low level, barely detectable, in the tank.
So how this works is the chlorine reacts with the bugs, turns into a gas and is “destroyed”
When there is some “free chlorine” then you have protection.
When its gone so is your protection. 
I’d suggest that you don’t rush in and keep the chlorine high, 
so maybe you can wait a day or so and keep it at the lowest level.
If there is “free Chlorine”, you know that the chlorine has done its work
and the remaining chlorine is a signal there is no micro organisms, algae, bacteria, anything for it to react to.
HOWEVER
Pool Chloride is really not recommended, but its cheap.
It has to be carried around in dangerous goods vehicles and a spill requires a Hazmat team.
It is toxic to all living tissue, but living tissue is resilient enough to survive it in low doses, in short periods.
Putting it in water is the number one cause of Bowel cancer in the western world (showering in or drinking it)
I have a 1 meter high carbon filter on my home water supply to filter two toxic chemicals, Chlorine and fluoride, out of the water.
Monochloramine is a safer stable chlorine used for PYTHIUM treatment,
and is available under the brand name PYTHOFF.
We have it in 1 litre $20 and 5Litre $80 and test kits are available for $25
Hydrogen peroxide works by oxidising, which ADDS oxygen to the bad guys who burn.
Roots are unaffected at normal doses. Safe for treating drinking water.
Hydroshield is $20 for 1L and $80 for 5L
2ml per litre every 2 days until problems are gone, 2ml per litre per week thereafter.
Ozone generators add O3 (oxygen is O2) to the water,
and works just like the Hydrogen peroxide,
$250 a unit and it runs continuously off 240Volt power.
That’s a basic rundown.
Call my staff for better info as you sound like you got crappy advice.
Root rot can be controlled and eliminated.
But we need to talk to get the reasons for the problem,
solve the source of it, treat the condition, and keep it away.
Scott Andrew
Nerang Hydroponic Centre
4/50 Spencer Road Nerang QLD 4211 Australia
Phone (07) 5527 4155 (Phone is always recommended for urgent problems or dilemmas as email can take several back and forth’s to achieve a solution)
scott@hydrocentre.com.au (Recommended for non-urgent items)
email checked morning and afternoon minimumon week days only
Privacy
Portions of Growing Questions (i.e. not general correspondence) we receive may be edited and placed into our FAQ portion on the website as part of our free advisory service. Personal details will be completely removed. If you wish not to participate please let us know by return email.We value your Privacy.